Medical Billing Basics Course
If a career at a medical facility is of interest to you and you would like more insight into the medical billing field, this course is for you! This course will teach you the basic information to get started in the medical billing field.
There is a growing need for trained billers in the medical field. A career in medical billing comes with growing employment opportunities in a variety of settings including hospitals, clinics, and skilled nursing facilities.
Minnesota West Community & Technical College and Medi-Sota, Inc. have partnered to develop an interactive, entry-level online course to prepare students for success, providing them the information, understanding and skills needed to get started in the medical billing career path.
This entry-level online self-paced course provides flexibility for those students already employed and need non-traditional training opportunities to succeed OR for students that want to enter into the medical billing field. The instructor offers the opportunities to ask questions and receive guidance as needed. The course is anticipated to be 11-13 weeks in length.
The September 14, 2022 course has a registration deadline of September 7th.
For more details, click the following link to download the brochure: Brochure Link
This course provides an entry level study of health insurance plans, billing and reimbursement methodologies, and compliance approaches. Included: Payor categories, APC’s and other prospective payment systems, the revenue cycle, chargemaster, RBRV’s, regulatory guidelines, billing processes, and more.
- Identify & understand how to complete insurance claims, including to 3rd party plans.
- Explain the role of a managed care organization.
- Discuss the life cycle of an insurance claim.
- Explain retention of records law.
- Interpret a chargemaster.
- Evaluate the revenue cycle management.
- Complete UB-40 & CMS-1500 forms.
- Differentiate between fraud & abuse.
- Determine pre-certification or pre-authorization needs, including eligibility for services from documentation.
Duration: 11-13 weeks (Estimate 5-10 hours per week) - Class is Online Only & Self-Paced with Instructor assistance and guidance.
- Intro to Health Insurance
- Managed Health Care
- Revenue Cycle Management
- Legal and Regulatory Issues
- CMS Reimbursement
- CMS-1500 and UB-04 Claims
- Commercial Insurance & Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Worker’s Compensation
- Rural Health Clinics & Critical Access Hospitals
Payment is due in full at the time of registration. Please note that the registration fee covers the class only; it does not include the book or the online simulation lab access. Attendees are responsible for purchasing these items independently. Additional purchase information including the book and online simulation lab access will be emailed to each attendee after registration is confirmed. Registrations without payment information will not be accepted.
Course Fee: $699.00 (due immediately for registration to be approved)
Book Bundle Fee & Simulation Module Access: $214.00
Simulation Module Access Fee Only: $100.00
(If a facility purchases the book bundle and wants to use the books for future student training, there is an option to pay for the simulation model access as long as the book edition remains the same.)
**You will receive an email from Roxanne.email@example.com to help you access the online class. A second email will be sent to you once you have successfully accessed the online course content. At that time you will be given instructions on how to order the book (the book purchase is not included in the class registration fee). If you have any other questions, please feel free to email Roxanne.firstname.lastname@example.org or call 507-372-3468.**
For billing, IT, & materials questions please contact:
MN West Community & Technical College
- You are not legally obligated to provide any of the requested information on the registration form. However, our office may have difficulty providing adequate services if we do not receive the appropriate information. This information will be kept confidential.
- Refund Policy: Cancellations must be made no later than 10 business days prior to the course. The full course fee will be charged if cancellation is made in less than 10 business days. Full refunds will be given for all classes cancelled by Minnesota West Community & Technical College. Registration is transferable to another person.
- Equal Opportunity: Minnesota West Community & Technical College is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in employment and education opportunity.
- Sexual Harassment: Any Customized Training Services student or staff member who believes he/she may have been harassed should report the incident to Karen Miler, Human Resources, Minnesota West Community & Technical College, 1011 First St. W., Canby MN 56220, 507-223-7252.
- Senior Citizen: Senior citizens taking course(s) through Minnesota West Community and Technical College Customized Training Services/Continuing Education will be charged according to Minnesota Statute 135A.52, which states: A senior citizen taking a closed enrollment contract training or professional continuing education courses must pay the regular tuition charge for the course and is not eligible for a free/or reduced rate.
- ADA: This document can be made available in alternative formats such as large print, Braille, or audiotape. For TTW communication, contact the Minnesota Relay Service at 1-800-627-3529 and then ask them to place a call to the campus. If you need an accommodation to enable you to fully participate in this activity, please contact the campus two weeks prior to the training for supplemental services for persons with disabilities.