Medical Forensic Exam Training
Via Webinar Only - Recording of session available to those that cannot attend the live session.
The presentation covers the legal considerations, evidence collection, packaging the sexual assault kit, documentation, injury identification, reporting to law enforcement, Restricted and Unrestricted kit storage, prophylaxis medications and tips for taking a medicolegal history from the patient. The presentation is designed to increase nurses’ confidence and competence when conducting medical forensic exams and to improve the quality of care for patients that have experienced sexual violence.
1. Describe Trauma Informed Patient Care and interviewing techniques
2. List the types and techniques for collecting and packaging evidence
3. Describe genital anatomy and identification of injuries related to sexual assault
4. Discuss STI and pregnancy prophylaxis following sexual assault
5. Describe options for reporting a sexual assault to law enforcement
Who Should Attend: Registered Nurses
Presenter: Linda Walther RN SANE A, Clinical Coordinator for the Statewide Medical Forensic Policy Program SVJI@MNCASA
Continuing Education: Clock Hours: 4.0
This workshop is designed to meet the continuing education requirements for the MN Board of Nursing. It is the responsibility of the nurse to determine whether these activities meet the current criteria for continuing education.
Medi-Sota Members: $FREE
Non-Medi-Sota Members: $45 / Person
Cancellations must be made no later than 10 business days prior to the course. The full course fee will be charged if cancellation is made in less than 10 business days. Full refunds will be given for all classes cancelled by Medi-Sota. Registration is transferable to another person.